Henry County, Alabama Obituaries

Caroline Morris
Saturday, May 22, 1880

Mrs. Caroline Morris died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. R. A. Wellborn in Eufaula on the 20th inst. She was born in New York City in July 1792, was a member of the Presbyterian Church for many years.
Source: "Marriage & Death Notices from BARBOUR and HENRY Counties, Alabama 1846-1890" p.149

Edward Short Powers
Contributed and Copyrighted by Ed Godbold

The Columbia Recorder
December 4, 1890

Mr. Powers Dead

Again has one of Columbia's families been visited by the hand of affliction and
the death angel has swooped down bearing away one of her old and tried citizens, Mr. E. S. Powers, who for many years has been suffering from a complication of diseases, on Monday evening departed this life. He had for many years been a resident of Columbia.

By his life-long integrity and indisputable honor, had acquired a name among her people which none can deny. For many years his sufferings have been intensely great, so that death, usually a source of awe and terror, came to him burdened down as he was by disease as a sweet relief. Relatives and friends cannot refrain from grief even though they see the wisdom of this visitation, but all will alike, at some days, be it early or late, see that they must bow in humble submission saying "thy will be done". To the grief stricken wife who has so faithful and tenderly watched by his bedside, for days, months and years, we would say grieve not. But hope for that glorious meeting which God reserves for his children in the sweet beyond. The sorrowing daughters and little son, the loving sister all alike have the sympathy of an entire public. He was interred in the cemetery at this place Tuesday afternoon in the presence of a large number, the funeral services being conducted by Rev. W.M. Burr.

Lula Powers
Contributed and Copyrighted by Ed Godbold

The Columbia Breeze
November 8, 1900
Obituary of Lula N. Powers

Miss Lula Powers died yesterday morning of consumption after an illness of over two years. Since January she has been confined to her bed. She was in her 32nd year.
The funeral will take place this morning.

Short Florence Powers
Contributed and Copyrighted by Ed Godbold

The Columbia Breeze
February 4, 1897

One of the saddest deaths that has occurred in Columbia for a long time was that of Miss Short Florence Powers, daughter of Mrs. Vesta Powers, on Sunday evening last about 7 o'clock. Miss Powers was a victim of that dreaded disease, consumption, and for many months had been confined to her home and for the past three months had been confined to her bed, patiently waiting for the end. She died resigned, and even happy, glad to be released from her sufferings, and with a sweet, firm faith in a happier future beyond this life. She was about twenty years of age, and leaves a mother, three sisters and a brother to mourn her untimely death. her father and an elder sister died a few years since. The funeral took place Monday evening and the remains were followed to the grave by a large number of friends.

Miss Kate Powers
Contributed by Ed Godbold, December 16, 2004

The Columbia Recorder
December 11, 189O
Obituary of Kate Elizabeth Powers

A veil of unalterable sadness enveloped our fair town last Saturday, penetrating many hearts and causing grief which it were vain to attempt to banish. The death angel who has been hovering near for many months has descended and with his remorseless scythe, cut down one of Columbia's fairest and sweetest flowers, Miss Kate Powers. While just emerging from maidenhood to womanhood, with life with its beauty stretched before her in a glistening panorama filled with the golden nectar which youth alone can impart, felt disease which spares not one, laid hold of this loved young lady with a relentless clasp and now in a few months, God calls her soul, saying "I love thee, I love thee, pass under the rod". Under the existing circumstances it seems doubly hard to the sorrowing ones to yield their claim, but Christ, who guides this dear spirit through the gloom and conveys it to a better and fairer land, will comfort these left behind, in this their darkest hour. O! Ye weary ones and sad ones, Droop not, faint not, by the way; Ye shall join the loved and lost ones In the last of perfect day.

In addition to many fond relatives whose hearts are saddened by this event, a host of friends and associates, male and female, those of her childhood days and those who have stayed by her in later years, witnesses of her pure and sweet life, these are likewise burdened with grief, at the thought that she whom we have all loved has gone from us forever. But though she has passed deaths gloomy river her sweet face will yet live in our memory and in our love will live forever. The burial service was conducted Sunday afternoon by Rev. Mr. Culbreath in the presence of a large body of friends and relatives. To all, the dear ones stricken with grief by this untimely departure, we offer the deepest sympathy and may this beloved daughter and sister prove a ministering angel to guide them into Paradise.

James R. Pickett
Contributed and copyrighted by Christine Grimes Thacker

James Reynolds Pickett
James R. Pickett was born in Henry County, Ala., March 17, 1843, and was taken by his parents to Apalachicola, Fla., in 1845, arriving there on the child's birthday, The Irish citizens of the city were celebrating the day in honor of St. Patrick, but the two-year-old youngster thought it was in honor of his birthday.

James Pickett enlisted in Company E, 2nd Florida Cavalry on May 8, 1862, under Captain Blocker. He was transferred to Houston's artillery company late in 1863, and after about a year's service with that company he was transferred to the navy and ordered to Wilmington, N. C. The struggle was over and Lee had surrendered before he could reach Wilmington. He was in the battles of Natural Bridge and Olustee, Fla. He was faithful to all the duties of his soldiership, was never sick a day in camp, always answered roll call, and was always ready for duty.

He was never paroled and never took the oath of allegiance, yet he made one of the best of citizens. He was a fearless and competent seaman, and after returning home from the war he shipped on a bark bound for Liverpool. While in mid-Atlantic fire broke out in the cotton and the ship was burned. A vessel saved the crew and landed them at Quebec, Canada where he stayed for some time, working and studying navigation, and he returned to Apalachicola with a certificate as navigator of the deep sea. After his marriage, in July, 1869, he was made a pilot, and was still engaged in this occupation on the Gulf of Mexico when he was taken with his last sickness. His death occurred at Carrabelle, Fla., on July 5, 1912. Surviving him are his wife, five daughters, and a son.

[Sketch by his comrade, J. R. Blocker, of Carrabelle, Fla.]
* This was sent to the Dale Co., Al mailing list by Terri Tait, she gave me permission to copy anything she has sent and send to the Dale Co., Archive site.
Christine Grimes Thacker, 10/4/2000.
Source: Confederate Veteran, Vol XX, October 1912, No. 10, page 481

John A. Wood
The Henry County Register
Thursday 7 March 1878

Mr. John A. Wood died at his residence in Henry County, on Saturday last.

William Joseph Lee
Contributed and Copyrighted by Christine Grimes Thacker

Dr. W. J. Lee Dr. William Joseph Lee was born October 27, 1838 in Chambers County, Ala; and died January 13, 1910 at Abbeville, Ala. His ancestors were of the Lees of Virginia. Charles S. Lee, his father, was a native of Greene County, Ga. And became a citizen of Alabama in 1834. He served with the rank of captain in the Indian War of 1836, and during the Civil War effectively aided the cause.

Dr. W. J. Lee was one of five brothers, all of whom were commissioned, in the Confederate service. Moses J. Lee was a captain of cavalry; Charles S. Lee, Jr., was also a captain of cavalry in the 1st Alabama Regiment, and after reorganization he commanded a company of the 6th Alabama Calvary.

After the war he represented Escambia County in the Senate of Alabama. John H. Lee entered the service as a private in the 6th Alabama Cavalry, and was promoted to a lieutenancy; Edward David Lee enlisted as a private in Company K of the 33rd Alabama Infantry, commanded by his brother, Dr. W. J. Lee, and a year later was commissioned lieutenant. After his brother was wounded and captured at Franklin, Tenn., he had command of the company until the surrender at Greensboro, N.C.

In the fall of 1861 W. J. Lee organized a company in Coffee County, of which he was elected captain. It was made Company K, 33rd Alabama Infantry, Lowrey's Brigade, Cleburne's Division, Hardee's Corps, Army of Tennessee. He commanded his company during the siege of Corinth and through the Kentucky and Chickamauga campaigns. During the Atlanta and Nashville campaigns he was the acting major of his regiment, and participated in the battles of Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Ringgold, Resaca, New Hope Church, Kennesaw Mountain, Atlanta, Jonesboro, and in the Tennessee Campaign at Franklin, where he fell with several wounds in the right elbow and left leg. When the army retreated from Nashville, he was captured and three months later he was sent to Camp Chase, Ohio where he was confined until after the close of hostiles. He was a brave, heroic spirit.

Dr. Lee had graduated with distinction in the Medical Department of Tulane University, New Orleans, La. In 1860 and the next year from the University of Nashville, and began the practice of his profession in Coffee County; but soon the call of his country for military service interrupted his professional career. After the flag of the Confederacy furled, he resumed the practice of medicine in Coffee County, Ala. where he labored with marked success until 1882. He then located in Abbeville and entered upon his most efficient labors. Having won the plaudits of his fellow men for his ability and constancy in their service, he retired from the profession in 1896, rich in the esteem of his people.

Dr. Lee served for years as the Commander of Abbeville Camp, U.C.V. At the time of his death he was Vice President of the First National Bank, a member of Henry Lodge A.F. and A. M. and a member of the Abbeville Baptist Church.

Dr. Lee married Miss Emma Ada Haughton of Union Springs, Ala. October 8, 1861 at Elba, Ala. She died in 1874. In 1876, he married Mrs. Mollie E. Price, of Abbeville, Ala., the daughter of Rev. Alexander L. Martin and the sister of Rev. W. J. Martin, of Abbeville, and Hon. Harry Martin of Ozark.

He is survived by two brothers, eldest and youngest of his family, and by two sisters. One sister is the wife of Capt. J. E. P. Flournoy of Elba, who served with distinction as a captain in the 8th Alabama Cavalry, and the other is the wife of Hon. P. D. Costello and was a captain in the Confederate army, acting major of his battalion at Shiloh and as lieutenant colonel of the 25th Alabama Regiment at Murfreesboro. He is also survived by his son, W. J. Lee, Jr. who for a quarter of a century has served in the navy of the United States, and who is now stationed in Alaskan waters; by his daughter, Mrs. Robert Newman, with four children; by Miss Irene Stokes, his granddaughter, who had spent her life under his care and loved him with a true daughter's devotion; by his faithful wife, who for nearly thirty-four years was his constant helpmeet and companion.

The funeral sermon was preached by his pastor, Rev. John F. Gable, at the Abbeville Baptist Church, assisted by Rev. W. E. Street of the Methodist Church. The ceremonies at the grave were conducted by Henry Lodge, A. F. and A. M. assisted by representatives from other lodges in the country.

In consideration of this genial fellowship, of his military career, of his professional service, of his patriotic citizenship, and his fraternal relations, it was therefore "Resolved by the Henry Lodge, No. 91, A. F. and A. M. in regular meeting assembled.

That we humbly bow in submission to the will of the Lord, Supreme Grand Master of the
skies, that we recognize the truth, that the square, the plump line, and the level
regulated the life of our brother; that our sympathy is hereby extended to the bereaved
family; that a copy of this sketch and this resolution be spread upon our minutes and
published throughout the press."

Dr. Clarence J. Owens, Commander in Chief, U.S. C.V. was chairman of the meeting.
* This was sent to the Dale Co., Al mailing list by Terri Tait, she gave me permission
to copy anything she has sent and send to the Dale Co., Archive site.
Christine Grimes Thacker, 10/4/2000.
Source: Confederate Veteran, Vol. XVIII, May 1910, No. 5, page 242, 243

Amanda A. Whitehurst Bowen
Daughter of John W. Whitehurst and Jane Camp
and Amanda's Spouse, Dr. O. B. Bowen
Submitted by Jane Combs
Obits given to me by Novella Whitehurst of AZ.


AHGP Henry County


Please Come back Soon!!


This page was last updated Friday, 04-Mar-2016 15:42:58 EST

Copyright August © 2026 - 2024 AHGP  The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.

Webspace for this site is generously provided by